-------------
Faced with the unutterable, words still disintigrate...
And ever new, out of the most quivering stones, music builds her divine house in useless space.
-Rilke
-------------
|
|
| |
|
|
| |
|
I am moody.
|
[I am not very good at html]
|
|
|
sometimes i wish... [a blog]
|
|
| |
Tuesday, June 11, 2002
weird to find out obvious things that you never noticed.
take Mineral for example.
an excellent band. 2nd LP, "The Power of Failing" recorded in 1995 was a very important album, particularly to the, forgive me for using my most dreaded buzzword, "emo" scene. They're not on the same level as say, Sunny Day Real Estate, but they're an important, and -good- band for certain. Not "just another bunch of whiney, 'angst-ridden' teenagers." Anyway, I liked them casually for a long time and never really paid much attention to the lyrics; occasionally i noticed the word "pain" and something about depression and figured it was about girls. Boring, but i liked the music. Today I actually look up the lyrics. To my surprise they're all about life, God, and yes, some even mention Jesus. It was a good surprise too, because as I started reading them, at first I just thought "wow, these are great lyrics... I can relate... wow, it's not just dumb and about girls... hey, I might actually want to pay for this cd... hey, what was that about grain of salt... planks in eyes... humbleness... Jesus???" I was just happy to find that a band managed to be so influential, in an indie sort of way, and have lyrics not about girls--about Jesus no less. Usually, people would pigeonhole such a band immediately. I mean, not only did they leave their mark, but Chris and Jeremy formed The Gloria Record; Gabe and Scott were briefly in Imbroco; Gabe is now in Pop Unknown. Other not-too-tiny indie bands. I was impressed. You can be apathetic if you like. It was a personal revelation of sorts. A mild one. But neat.
4:34 PM
|
|
| |
|
|
|